Preparation Time: about 45 minutes
Makes: about 45 squares
- 500ml (2 cups) sugar
- 75ml (5 Tbsp) water
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) golden syrup
- 60g (4 Tbsp) butter
- 1 can Nestlé Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
- Place sugar and water into a heavy saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the syrup and butter; stir until the butter has melted.
- Add the Nestlé Sweetened Condensed Milk and stir until mixture comes to the boil.
- Boil slowly, stirring all the time until the soft ball stage is reached: about 25 minutes (Place a drop of the mixture into a glass of water and it should form a soft ball when rolled between your fingers – if not, boil a little while longer).
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla and beat with a wooden spoon until it begins to thicken.
- Pour into a greased 18cm x 28cm pan and leave to cool
- Cut into squares when almost cold.
For a delicious Peanut Fudge - add 250ml (1 cup) unsalted peanuts with the vanilla, before pouring into the pan.
Or try this, creamy Chocolate Fudge – just add 100g Nestlé Easy Melt Dark Chocolate, broken into squares, together with the vanilla, before pouring into the pan.