By Joseph Onchwati, Development Chef, Nestlé Equatorial Africa
Qty: 1 Gateau (15 cm diameter)
- 70g Butter, unsalted
- 40g Sugar 1
- 40g Cashew nuts or Almond splits lightly toasted
- 120g Carrots, peeled & grated
- 90g Self raising flour sifted
- 2 Egg yolks
- 25ml Milk
- ¼ tsp.Baking Powder, sifted
- ¼ tsp.Cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch Mixed Spices
- Few drops,Vanilla Essence
- 2 Egg whites
- 20g Sugar 2
- some Icing : (+ Lemon juice with little water )for top glaze
- 4 small Marzipan Carrots for décor
- 30 gr crushed nuts or cake crumbs or corn flakes for the cake sides
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour a 9x13 inch cake mold.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar 1
- Mix nuts with grated carrots and sprinkle with 1/3 of the flour and together with items 6 to 11 add to the creamed mix.
- Whip egg whites by adding little by little of sugar 2 until stiff - then fold under Basic Mix
- Place into cake ring and bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Coat top with the icing patch on the sides and arrange Mini Carrots and patch with cake crumbs or cornflakes on the side.