- Few strands of saffron
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 2 litres milk
- 3 Tbsp. wheat
- ½ cup ghee
- 1 small can (155g) Nestlé Dessert Cream
- ¾ can (397g) Nestlé Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 Tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 Tbsp ground almonds
- ¾ cup sugar (to taste)
- 1 tsp. fine cardamom
- 3 Tbsp blanched, slivered almonds and pistachios for decorating
- Boil carrots in milk over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent milk from scorching.
- When consistency is thick and mushy, remove from heat and set aside.
- Braise wheat in ghee until golden brown.
- Add carrot pulp and stir vigorously.
- Add Dessert Cream, Nestlé Sweetened Condensed Milk, coconut, ground almonds and sugar (to taste).
- Stir vigorously (scorches easily at this stage).
- When Halwa is fairly dry and the ghee skims to the top it is done.
- Before serving, sprinkle with slivered almonds and pistachios.
Cook Halwa until very dry and no moisture remains. Allow to cool in a swiss roll tray. When cold, sprinkle with nuts and cut into small diamond shapes.