13-19 years, this is the period of rapid growth associated with hormonal, cognitive and emotional changes.
Protein: Eat plant and animal protein for growth and development.
- Fruits/vegetables: Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables they contain vitamins A, C, D, folic acid which help in tissue growth, cell and bone formation.
- Ensure you eat at least 4 of the main food groups each day.
- Drink plenty of clean water
- Vital minerals including calcium, magnesium and zinc are important for bone formation growth and development.
- Iron requirements also increase as a result of expansion of the total blood volume, increase in lean body mass and onset of menses in young females.